Top 20 To DEpression
This week, The Weekly Beet goes black and white to report on the widespread and growing reality of depression. Mary Kent get moody to reveal their self-tested secrets to fighting depression.
Why doesn't anyone ever talk about feeling the blues? Is it because we live in a society that revolves around an "up market"? Or, is it that through the years feeling sad has been seen as a sign of weakness? Whatever the cause, negative feelings, if handled poorly, can only linger and develop into a condition that affects the mind, the body, and the spirit known as depression.
Depression, not yet fully understood by science, is an illness so powerful that it has the ability to negatively affect every aspect of our lives: our health, our moods and thoughts, our behaviors, our relationships, our careers, and our choices. What most are aware of is that depression is triggered by tension, stress, traumatic life experiences or illnesses, having a baby, chemical imbalances in the brain, thyroid disorder, and family history. But, what few are aware of is that depression is also caused by poor diet, nutrititional deficiences, too much sugar, lack of exercise, allergies, hypoglycemia, and winter months. Click here to see what happens to the brain when it becomes depressed. With 18.8 million people in America alone suffering from depression, it affects all ages with twice as many women as men. Symptoms of depression can last weeks, months, or years and if untreated can develop into serious illnesses. Currently, only 20% of depressed people are actively seeking treatment. This proves how out of touch society is with emotions. Don't be fooled into thinking that by ignoring depression it will simply go away. The Beet Girls say face feeling down and understand it is a powerful tool to self-growth!
Don't allow the mind to paint your reality black and white! We say it's time to bring color back into your life. Follow our Top 20 solutions to BEETing depression:
- Get to the core of your feelings of sadness and act on it. The longer the wait, the worse it becomes.
- Learn the Power of Positive Thinking. Choose to wake up with a smile. Remember that laughter is the best medicine.
- Quiet the Mind by learning meditation. An overactive mind leads to tension, worry, and anxiety.
- Self-love is the ultimate key to happiness.
- Take frequent baths, adding depression beeting
- Understand your purpose on the planet. Remember, you are here to be happy.
- Keep a journal, recording positive and negative emotions.
- Surround yourself with positive people who love you. Being around positive, loving, energy will help lift the spirits.
- Try a natural alternative to Prozac such as SAMe.
- Find a guru or someone who inspires you. We love Amma, the guru of love! She hugs like you've never been hugged before.
- Take supplements such as Omega 3s and B Complex that are proven to beet depression. Check out Dr. Stoll's book on Omega-3s.
- Learn what foods affect moods. Eliminate foods that have been linked to cause depression such as wheat, diet sodas and other products containing aspartame and artificial sweetners, white sugar, white flour, fried foods, alcohol, and caffeine.
- Eat foods high in tryptophan that lift the spirits such as salmon and turkey. Eat complex carbohydrates that elevate levels of serotonin in the brain.
- Investigate Light Therapy for easing depression.
- Try Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT).
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Find exercise that best suits your mood. Yoga, Pilates, Martial Arts, Kickboxing, or Running.
- Stop smoking. Smokers are more prone to depression.
- Look out for phenylalanine, a chemical in supplements, that can cause depression in people.
- See a therapist if depression lingers.
Remember, that feeling the blues is natural and in most cases will pass. We hope our Top 20 will enlighten and inspire you to face the blues and do it anyways!
Don't miss a Beet. Stay tuned for next week.
PS. Check out Holly Dunlap, Founder and Creative Director of Hollywould, on Ladies Who Launch.