Don't miss What's UnBEETable below
This week, The Weekly Beet reports from the fireplace on a Top Five that just about all of us desparately need. Mary Kent literally burns out, revealing what we all can do to fight these fiery feelings!
Worn out? Over it? Feeling that you just can't move forward? Don't care anymore? Ready to throw in the towel? Yep, I know it well. Been there too! It's not always a walk in the park these fast-paced, rollercoaster lives we all lead that can at time leave us feeling overwhelmed, frustrated, and down right powerless. But, it all gets a bit easier once we know what's really going on behind the scenes! The case at hand is called Burnout, a pyschological term used to describe a state of mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual exhaustion brought about by excessive and prolonged exposure to stress. It's a horrendous experience for those of us in the know, but it's a condition that with a bit of knowledge and empowered action CAN absolutely be overcome! Currently, Americans have the least amount of vacation time away from their jobs and even 33% admit they are constantly checking in at work while away. With more than half of workers under a great deal of stress and 77% admitting they feel burned out on the job, it's no accident Burnout has us all up in smoke! We are a society stressfully glued to our jobs, thanks to technology, so it's about time for the flames of Burnout to be put out!
What we know about Burnout is that it is an internal reaction to something extremely stressful going on outside of us. Whether it's work induced, lifestyle-related, or psychological, the problem with Burnout is that it seeps beyond the situation that's causing the stress into the well-being of relationships, health, and vital life force energy needed to get us through life! While it takes a while for Burnout to set in, it takes no time to catch the following red flags that occur in the beginning stages. Do this and you'll most certainly extinguish any Burnout, but leave them all blazing and you're on the road to creating alot more suffering! Here are some of the signs and symptoms that most definitely indicate a Burnout is flaming:
- Constantly feeling tired and drained
- Weakened immune system, feeling sick a lot
- Frequent headaches, back pain, muscle aches
- Change in appetite or sleep habits
- Sense of failure or feelings of self-doubt, powerlessness, helplessness, trapped, and defeatedness
- Detachment, feeling alone in the world and isolating self from others
- Loss of motivation or procrastination
- Increasingly cynical or overly negative outlook on situation. Click here to see if your personality is prone
to burning out!
There is truly nothing worse than the hopeless feelings that Burnout brings about, but there is definitely something you can do! Here are my Top Five Tips to warding off a bad case of Burnout:
- To catch Burnout before it sets in, becoming aware of the messages your body is communicating is vital. Aches and pains are the language of the body. So, start by listening to what these are telling you BEFORE they become out of control!
- Eliminate Caffeine, Sugar, and Alcohol. These three 'drugs' should absolutely be eliminated while getting Burnout under control! They all drain vital energy and weaken the immune system tremendously. If you're addicted to coffee, sodas, or alcohol, this needs to be addressed. And, if you are addicted to sugar, consult a nutritionist.
- Supplement with Vitamin B-Complex and Magnesium. Getting your B's will help tremendously, as they normalize brain function and help get stress under control. Magnesium is a life-saver, as it calms and soothes the nervous system. Try Natural Calm!
- Sleep. Many burn outs claim they suffer from insomnia or can't get to bed on time. Know your body and if it's fatigued then it's time to go to bed! I have to have 8 hours a night or else I don't function optimally. Know what your body needs to get a good night sleep. Click here if you can't sleep!
- Incorporate some form of relaxation or healing exercise. Yoga, T'ai Chi, Qigong, and even Reiki are super important. Reiki is one of the most important aspects to healing Burnout, as the effects of Burnout will depleat your energy. Reiki is the perfect recharger! Click here to try a Reiki session.
- I added another one! Nourish your soul. By this I mean, find something outside of the current stress zone that gives you joy. Alot of burn outs find they never have time to incorporate a hobby, but that's simply a result of
improper scheduling and poor boundary setting. For me, I paint. Some hoola hoop. Others surf. Find that part of your soul that so desparately needs to be expressed in a way that work will never allow.
Just remember, though Burnout may have us paralyzed, we are never truly stuck! There is onlywork to be done when Burnout sets in. It's absolutely possible that your Burnout may be saving your life. Maybe it's time for a career change? Perhaps you're in the wrong relationship! Maybe you need to free your mind! Look to Burnout as the symptom of another issue at hand. Once this is done, Burnout can truly be a blessing in disguise!
It's time to extinguish Burnout! Tune into the FREE webinar on Wednesday to learn more! Click here to sign up! Don't miss a Beet. Stay tuned for next week.
PS. Mary Kent is wearing top from J. McLaughlin and necklace is of her own making. She is holding burning matches by HomArt from Finleaf.
PSS. Missed our last Beet? We Let Freedom Ring!
PSSS. Check out Sarma Melngailis, One Lucky Duck, LLC on Ladies Who Launch.
PSSSS. Seriously, don't miss my first Webinar on Wednesday at 8PM EST with Jena la Flamme of Jena Wellness. She's an awesome weight loss guru! You'll learn some super, healthy tips to keep you from Burning Out and to start Burning Fat!
|Here's What's UnBEETable:|
My Healthy Spirit Tip: "From what I have learned, the spiritual realm is the starting point for all things. We should all be looking to this sacred place that lies tucked away, deep within ourselves for all the answers that we seek."
My Favorite Quote: "It's so obvious that all of us have suffered, and all of us have made mistakes in life. Yet all of us are trying our best. We can change our perceptions regarding the nature of human error, knowing that what is not love is but a call for love.
~ Marianne Williamson, Enchanted Love
My Favorite Book: Outlander
My Favorite Movie: Matrix
My Favorite Guru: Life
My Favorite Song: Big Red Machine by Aaron Dessner and Justin Verner
My Favorite Snack: Peaches from McLeod Farms in McBee, SC! Slice and add Hemp Milk! OH MY!! Unbelievable!
"The Weekly Beet is simply exciting! Never before has Alternative Medicine been
researched and presented in such an 'upbeet' way."
- Dr. Andrew Weil
Copyright ©2009 The Weekly Beet