"When someone comes to me with a problem, I don't care what it is: poor health, lack of money, unfulfilling relationships, or self esteem issues... there is only one thing that I ever work on, and that is LOVING THE SELF. I find that when we really love, accept and approve of ourselves exactly as we are, then everything in life works."
~ Louise Hay, my heroine
This week, The Weekly Beet reports on the power that self love can have on the mind, the body, and the spirit. Mary Kent turns inward, revealing why we could all use a little more self love this Valentine's Day.
Love. It's the most powerful force in the universe and the one emotional energy that can truly conquer all! With serious amounts of power that has to do with alot more than just chemistry, it's no wonder that love is also one of the most poorly understood emotions in the human body. Why? Because most humans are utterly terrified of love. Most of us would rather stay in fear, where the ego has us feeling safe and protected, than courageously facing the one loving truth that we have forgotten exists within us. It's a terrifying feat to face the darkness, yet an act of extreme courage taken in order to feel the love and light that lies underneath. When faced with my mercury crisis, I took Louise Hay's advice and dug deep within and found that, yes, I needed to rid myself of some not so nice emotions and thoughts that I held towards myself. Whether it was the mercury causing my negative thought patterns I will probably never know, but what I did know was that there was a force within that was keeping me from truly loving myself. I knew this was going to be one of the final keys to my happiness, so I put out an APB to the universe and sought out a bit of help! Luckily, I was lead to the most incredible healer I have ever met called Simran Singh. Simran, truly an enlightened being, is one of South Carolina's most renowned healers and has opened a healing facility called Believe, which will be the Omega Institute of the South. I won't delve into too much detail, but all I will say is that from working with Simran, who conducts sessions using Breath Therapy, a method that uses breathing to remove trapped emotional pain by allowing the body to become aware and permitting the feelings to be released, I allowed myself to go to a place of darkness and feel what exactly what it was that was blocking love. As soon as I was willing to say YES to feeling some pretty serious, negative emotional energy necessary to shed before I could tap into the love that was lying so presently underneath, things started to shift. It's true what they say about going through the dark in order to get to the light. And when I accomplished that, literally in an hour's time, it was like the floodgates opened. I was in a pure state of serenity, love, peace, and ease. I had helped myself remember that love is found only within and when you can tap into that unconditional, pure divine essence of your being, you have truly found the Elixir of Life. It takes a bit of time, patience, and practice to maintain the feeling, but in the end, the reward is something that no person but yourself could ever give you, explain to you, or do for you. It's all within and it is your absolute right to re-connect to such love within yourself. And, that's what I call unBEETable about self love.
Skinny, fat, tall, or small? It doesn't matter what you are, what matters is how you feel about yourself! It's a simple truth that has long been shunned, but recently brought to the forefront among self-help gurus and new age junkies. From what I have learned, self love is the key to a life filled with abundance, miracles, and serious amounts of magic. But, how do you find and tap into this love, if it isn't without? Simply put, you go within and as Louise Hay says, it's sometimes something that we have to learn. For those of us who aren't pros at self love, learning to love yourself is an acquired skill, but one that shouldn't take too long to acquire. This Valentine's Day we're all about loving ourselves. Here are the top 10 essentials we should all do to show ourselves a little more love. Start with these and I can promise that your life will never be the same:
- Acceptance is the key. Accept who you are and where you are right now! Accept every single aspect of your being - both strengths and weaknesses.
- Say positive affirmations. This will help erase those negative, mind controlling thoughts.
Click here for some good ones.
- You gotta say it to believe it! See yourself in the mirror every morning and say to yourself I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU! It might sound silly, but when you start doing it, trust me, you won't believe what happens around you.
- Repeat at least 5 times a day: I am love. I am loved. I am lovable
- Vow to yourself that you will fine tune all areas of your health. This may include changing eating or lifestyle habits.
- Learn to connect with your feelings. This is a serious aspect to self-love. If you don't feel where you are in this moment, the feelings will only increase. So, stop and feel your emotions. This is your key to feeling the love within and also provides intuitive guidance.
- Forgive yourself for all past mistakes with people. This is an essential element to self love. The longer you keep unnecessary resentment alive, the longer you will live away from love.
- Know your power. This means own your strengths and admit your weaknesses. None of us are perfect, but when we know who we are, it's a lot easier to love ourselves.
- Don't allow toxic people to drain your energy. Watch out for jealousy, fear, and negativity from friends and family. Protecting yourself is an essential act of self-love.
- Be nice to yourself. When the world isn't nice, you can be!
- Treat yourself to something fabulous! Whether it's music, a massage, a healthy meal, or a fun outfit, buy yourself something that will instill a bit of good vibes in your life. These will be short lived, but it will help in reconnecting to love.
- And, if you're really having a hard time loving yourself, seek out a therapist, a guru, or a Reiki session. There is power in saying, "Yes, I need a bit of help!"
From a challenging loved one to a negative thought pattern, there will always be obstacles to overcome while on the path to loving yourself. See these as little tests to encourage and enhance your journey. And, when you learn to love yourself so much, you'll start to notice that you may lose friends and perhaps even relatives. Don't take this personally, as people who do not love themselves will be challenged by the love that you exude from within. It's powerful to be the loving you that you were meant to be, and this can have some interesting reactions in people. It's normal, so hopefully, in time, these reactors will be inspired and able to connect to the power and strength within themselves that you already feel within. You don't have to do anything, except be yourself! It is your light that will encourage the change they seek within.
And, yes, I love myself. And, it's time for you to, too! Don't miss a Beet. Stay tuned for next week.
PS. Check out Band of Horses and Tyler Ramsey! Bravo for their latest performance in Charleston! They were great!!!
PPS. Thirsting for a healthier life? We love Vital Juice Daily! Sign up for a free, daily email about all things healthy and well-thy!
PPPS. Check out Heidi Flammang, founder of Top Dog at Camp Bow Wow, on Ladies Who Launch.
PPPPS. I got my sweater at American Eagle. I know it's not eco-friendly, but it was so cute I couldn't resist. And, my bracelets are a gift from my brother from Tibet and from
"The Weekly Beet is simply exciting! Never before has Alternative Medicine been
researched and presented in such an 'upbeet' way."
- Dr. Andrew Weil
Copyright ©2008 The Weekly Beet