Walk The Talk!
The average American is walking less than 75 miles a year
or about 1.4 miles a week.
This week, The Weekly Beet hits the pavement to reveal why the simple act of walking is so essential. Mary Kent walks the talk to remind you that walking is the healthiest form of transportation.
With gas prices through the roof, pollution depleting the ozone layer, and obesity levels rising fast, why are we still choosing not to walk? Are we all that pressed for time? Perhaps too busy? Or simply just plain lazy? Throughout time, man has invented the most sophisticated ways to truly make walking an inconvenience. As a result, our dependance on planes, trains, and automobiles has caused us to forget the sole purpose of having two feet on the ground! According to research from the U.S. Department of Transportation, the last 20 years has shown a decline of 42% in the number of trips people take on foot. Further research has proven that this lack of walking is linked to many degenerative illnesses such as diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, stroke, and heart disease.
Besides being the easiest form of exercise, walking can definitely save your health and your wallet too! Considering that walking is a natural action of the human body, it's astonishing how few people are actually out walking. It's time to put on your comfy shoes, grab a friend, and hit the streets. Here are the top reasons why we can't stop walking. Walking:
- Prevents osteoporosis, as it increases bone density.
- Alleviates depression and anxiety, inducing a relaxed state, especially when done in a beautiful environment (the beach, the park, etc).
- Prevents and controls diabetes.
- Improves circulation.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Aids in weight loss. A power walk is an excellent form of exercise for losing weight.
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- Prevents the risk of colon cancer.
- Slows down the aging process.
- Sets you off on an adventure.
- Saves money.
- Increases blood flow to the brain.
Walk this way to health! Don't miss a Beet. Stay tuned for next week.
PS. MK is wearing a Nutrishionista T-Shirt.
PPS. If you're in London, don't miss the largest ethical consumer show called Mad Show at Earl's Court on June 2-4. The Beet Girls are definitely going!
PPPS. Check out Marianne Frantz, founder of Cleveland Wine School, on Ladies Who Launch.